Peace, Love, and Coffee

A diary of the wonderful and wacky goings on at Coffee to the People, an independent coffeehouse located at 1206 Masonic Avenue in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco, California.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

How it all began. . . (Part 3)

Ultimately, COFFEE TO THE PEOPLE turned out a lot different from other coffeeshops because of my involvement. While I continued to let Bob and Megan worry about the coffee and the money, I worked on the theme. Since we had already committed ourselves to being a values-led business, the next logical step, I decided, was to carry that message into our decor.

The slogan for COFFEE TO THE PEOPLE is "Empowerment. In a cup." because we empower people by giving them choices that are environmentally and socially responsible. I wanted to make that message of empowerment and responsibility extant in everything we did, so I decorated the shop with posters of leaders of great progressive social movments from history--Martin Luther King, Jr., Susan B. Anthony, Mahatma Gandhi, etc.-- and inspiring quotations on the importance of social activism. To mix it up a bit, I also covered one wall with progressive bumperstickers. To help people become more politically involved, I set up a "community action center" where we post information about current events and tell people how to contact their elected representatives.

At first I was anxious about how people would react to seeing such a strong political message in a place of business, but the response has been overwhelmingly positive. It might not work everywhere, but in the Haight people seem to appreciate the sentiment.

1 Comments:

At 8/31/2005 04:19:00 AM, Blogger Siel said...

You have a fan blogger! http://graavy.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home